Re: network card

On Thu, 11 May 2000, Russell Brenner wrote:

> 	1. The floppy is in DOS and I can't get it to mount... Linux says bad file
> system...

Mount usually expects the filesystem to be ext2 (the standard linux
filesystem), unless one is defined for the device in /etc/fstab.  So to
mount a dos disk, you can do something like:

mount -t msdos /dev/fd0 /mnt

(-t means "type", and msdos might also be "vfat" for win32 disks)

Even better is if you have the mtools programs installed on your
machine.  Mtools is a set of utilities to deal with DOS disks in unix.  It
allows you to directly access the drive (provided you have correct
permissions set and/or are root ).    Then you can do

mcopy a:* /destination/directory/here

> 	2. how do I install the "eth0" device once I get the driver copied...

If it's on a DOS disk, you probably can't use it.   How to get it going
depends on your card, a good place to start is at a linux documentation
project mirror, such as

http://www.aklug.org/LDP

and read the ethernet-HOWTO.

I'll be out of town for a month or so, so happy linuxing all!

		--j0seph